Happy new year, everyone! While we will be bringing you a ton of 2012 real estate market statistics in the coming days, today I wanted to take a quick detour to the “softer” side of the news, with a look at what the neighborhood blogs have been writing about.
- Via the Ocean Beach Bulletin comes news that Tallulah, the matriarch of chimps at the SF Zoo, has died. She was believed to be in her late 50s. She had been at the SF Zoo since 1967, and was believed to be one of the oldest zoo chimps.
- From the Richmond neighborhood blog, a public information event about changes and planned developments at Lands End’s Eagles Point overlook. The information meeting is this Saturday, January 12 starting at 10am. You can also view the project website for additional information.
- The first meeting of the Glen Park Association will be 7:00pm on Wednesday, January 16 at the Glen Park Elementary School – 151 Lippard St.
- From the Hayes Valley Neighborhood Association blog comes news about an Alamo Square playgroup, which meets the first Sunday of every month and every Tuesday from 10am – 12pm.
- The Forest Knolls neighborhood blog has a detailed photo essay about what happens when a water main breaks.
- Looking for a beautiful hike outside of the city? If so, Blog by the Bay has the details and great pictures on a hike to Cascade Falls in Fairfax, located up north in Marin County.
- D10 watch has news about a meeting coming up this Saturday, January 12 to talk about the redevelopment of the old Schlage site. The demise of redevelopment agencies last year put some bumps in the road for this project, and the planning department will be holding a meeting to gather community and talk about what is possible now that the assumed public funding has been lost. The meeting is at 401 Tunnel Avenue from 12:00 – 2:00pm.
- And finally, via the Dogpatch Howler comes news of a new cheese shop in the Dogpatch, La Fromagerie at 2425 3rd St.